Broncos great Shane Webcke has accused the NRL club of withholding the truth when it comes to moving Kevin Walters on as head coach

  • Shane Webcke unimpressed coach Kevin Walters was moved on 
  • Followed a review into 2024 NRL season, Broncos finished 12th

Broncos great Shane Webcke has accused the NRL club of withholding the truth when it comes to moving Kevin Walters on as head coach.

Walters, 56, was informed on Thursday his services were no longer required at Red Hill following a review into the team’s downfall, where they finished 12th this season.

It followed their grand final appearance last year.

Debate has raged over whether Walters was sacked or agreed to step aside, with the club insisting he stood down – and Webcke believes powerbrokers need to come clean.

‘It does smell like now they’re trying to sort of put nice, pretty wallpaper over it and call it something that it’s not,’ the 254-game veteran told SENQ’s Breakfast with Pat and Heals.

‘I see that as a terrible weakness as well. If you’re going to make a tough call, call it what it is. Don’t try and turn it into something that’s not.’

Webcke was also adamant Walters should have been given the opportunity to prove himself in 2025.

‘Let’s look at what he’s done. We went from being wooden spooners to a second away from winning the grand final,’ the decorated prop added.

Broncos great Shane Webcke has accused the NRL club of withholding the truth when it comes to moving Kevin Walters on as head coach

Broncos great Shane Webcke has accused the NRL club of withholding the truth when it comes to moving Kevin Walters on as head coach

Walters was informed on Thursday his services were no longer required at Red Hill following a review into the team's shocking downfall in the 2024 season, where they finished 12th

Walters was informed on Thursday his services were no longer required at Red Hill following a review into the team’s shocking downfall in the 2024 season, where they finished 12th

‘None of us are happy with the season just gone, particularly Kevvie.

‘But I think the smartest thing to do would have been, and the right thing to do, would have been to let Kevvie coach next year.

‘If you’re going to make a decision like this, make it because you’re going to [hire] someone better. Well, who’s better? Who’s available right now who is going to be a better fit than Kevvie Walters?

‘There’s nothing logical about this, it just doesn’t make any sense….it looks like a knee-jerk decision made by people who don’t understand what our club’s about and what our game’s about.’

Webcke’s fighting words comes as skipper Adam Reynolds told Fairfax the playing group were as ‘surprised as anyone when the news broke’ – which suggests the club lacks leadership.

Brisbane chief executive Dave Donaghy paid tribute to Walters – and hopes one of the club’s favourite sons doesn’t wash his hands with the Broncos.

‘We owe a debt of gratitude to Kevin for the enormous role he’s played over the past four years,’ he said.

‘Kevin put his heart and soul into the club during his time as coach.

‘He is one of the most passionate people you will ever meet when it comes to the Broncos….we will miss Kev and his infectious personality.’

Walters, a five-time premiership winner with the Broncos and former captain, took on the role at the end of 2020.

He coached 99 NRL games – winning 50 of them – making him the club’s third longest-serving coach.

Early contenders to replace Walters include NSW Blues coach Michael Maguire, Queensland State of Origin assistant Josh Hannay and former Rabbitohs mentor Jason Demetriou.

You May Also Like

Duke blows late lead as Houston stunningly advances to NCAA final

SAN ANTONIO – Who said this NCAA Tournament lacked upsets?  Saturday night…

Passenger is accused of dangerous act on board flight from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney

By ASHLEY NICKEL FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 23:01 EDT, 5 April…

Belmont Club: How Will 'Liberation Day' Be Remembered?

Will the “Liberation Day” tariff policies of Donald Trump work or…

Iconic Australian fashion designer dies at age 73

Iconic Australian fashion designer Perri Cutten has died at age 73. Owners…