The bomb threats in parts of Arizona, Georgia and Pennsylvania turned out to be hoaxes, but forced evacuations and some polling places to extend hours.
The threats were reported throughout the day at polling locations in three metro Atlanta counties, all with large numbers of Democratic voters, and into the evening at voting locations in Pennsylvania, forcing evacuations.
Bomb threats also were reported at three voting locations in Navajo County, Arizona, according to the secretary of state’s office.
In an evening news conference, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro acknowledged there had been multiple bomb threats called into voting locations across the state, but said thus far there is “no credible threat” to the public.
“Every legal, eligible vote will be counted and counted accurately, and the will of the people in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will be respected,” said Shapiro, a Democrat.
In a statement, the Pennsylvania State Police said they were working with local partners to respond, if needed.
Neither Shapiro nor police gave more details about who might be behind the bomb threats or why Shapiro believed there was no threat to the public.
In Georgia’s Fulton County, which includes Atlanta, 32 of 177 polling places received bomb threats and five were briefly evacuated.
The FBI on Tuesday afternoon said it was aware of multiple hoax bomb threats to voting locations in several states and said many of them appeared to originate from Russian email domains.
“Georgia’s not gonna be intimidated,” Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said Tuesday.
Local officials quickly knocked down the claims Trump made on his social media platform, saying there were no indications of any problems that would affect accurately tallying the vote.
The absence of any significant, widespread problems had not stopped Trump, the Republican nominee, or the RNC, from making numerous claims of fraud or election interference during the early voting period, a possible prelude to challenges after Election Day.
In Georgia, a federal judge rejected as “frivolous” a last-minute effort by Republicans to challenge Atlanta-area election offices’ collection of mail ballots last weekend — after early voting had ended.
US District Judge R. Stan Baker, a Trump appointee, said the GOP argument “does not withstand even the most basic level of statutory review and reading comprehension.”
Trump on Tuesday suggested he wouldn’t challenge the results of the election — as long as it’s fair.
“If it’s a fair election, I’d be the first one to acknowledge” the results, Trump said, though what meets that definition wasn’t clear.
Harris deploys celebrities across battleground states in final hours
Trump’s Democratic opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris, has urged voters not to fall for Trump’s tactic of casting doubt on elections.
She was spending Tuesday afternoon turning out her own vote at a phone bank hosted by the Democratic National Committee, and said phone banking represents “the best of who we are.”
In Milwaukee, election officials said they were recounting more than 30,000 mail ballots “out of an abundance of caution” after it was discovered that doors on the back of ballot scanners were not properly sealed.
The effort, which drew the attention of Trump and the Republican National Committee, was expected to delay the count there.
It was expected that at least half of all votes to be cast had already come in by Tuesday, with more than 84 million Americans voting early.
There were just a few hiccups and frustrations during early voting in the presidential battlegrounds of Pennsylvania and Michigan.
The problems that cropped up on the final day of voting were “largely expected, routine and planned-for events,” said Cait Conley, senior adviser to the director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
The agency was not seeing any significant national incidents affecting election security, she said.