The Justice Department argued in a brief filed with a federal appeals court in the District of Columbia that the government would be irreparably harmed if the guilty pleas were accepted.

It said the government would be denied a chance for a public trial and the opportunity to “seek capital punishment against three men charged with a heinous act of mass murder that caused the death of thousands of people and shocked the nation and the world.”

The military judge at Guantanamo Bay and a military appeals panel rejected Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s effort to throw out the plea agreement, saying he had no power to do so after the senior Pentagon official for Guantanamo approved it in July.

Mohammed was due to enter his guilty plea on Friday and his two co-defendants next week.

The Justice Department brief said the defendants, by contrast, would not be harmed by a short delay, given that the prosecution has been ongoing since 2012 and the plea agreements would likely result in them serving long prison sentences, potentially for the rest of their lives.

“A short delay to allow this Court to weigh the merits of the government’s request in this momentous case will not materially harm the respondents,” the government argued.

You May Also Like

Swimmers and kayakers swept out to sea sparking frantic rescue operation in Point Lonsdale

By OLIVIA DAY FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 22:48 EDT, 4 April…

Broke LA County on Hook for $4B Payout to County Sex Abuse Victims

WOW It’s been quite a year for Los Angeles so far.…

Alabama school lunch lady, 41, ‘took boy home and had sex with him’

By WILL POTTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM Published: 15:50 EDT, 4 April 2025 |…

South Carolina has chance for March Madness repeat after rout of Texas

TAMPA, Fla. — Joyce Edwards fed Tessa Johnson who pulled up for…