Baker Mayfield says $12 million petition against family firm was ‘a long time coming’

Thanksgiving at the Mayfield family gathering should be interesting, to say the least.

On Tuesday, Baker Mayfield addressed the petition he and his wife Emily filed against the investment firm where the Buccaneers quarterback’s family members work.

Mayfield’s filing accuses the company of misappropriating $12 million.

“I’ll say this. It’s been a long time coming for that. I’m not going to comment on any details but, yeah, I’ve been dealing with that stuff for years now,” Mayfield said, according to Pro Football Talk, when asked if his pending investigation will be a distraction.

“So, mentally I’m in a much better head space. So, yeah, we’re ready to roll.”


Emily and Baker Mayfield pose for a photo.
Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield and his wife Emily want to know what happened with their $12 million.
Donald Traill/Invision/AP

The petition was filed Tuesday in Travis County (Texas) District Court, asking defendants Camwood Ventures, Camwood Capital Management Group, Texas Contract Manufacturing Group, Unitech, Apex Machining and Lor-Van to provide financial records from 2018-23 to show where the Mayfields’ money has gone in the last five years, according to NBC affiliate KXAN.

Mayfield’s father, James, and brother, Matt, work for the investment firm, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“From January 2018 through the present, more than $12 million was transferred from Petitioners’ personal account(s) and routed through various entities and investments,” the court filing claims.


Baker Mayfield on the field pointing a finger.
Mayfield has made more than $48 million in the NFL, according to Spotrac.
Getty Images

It’s worth noting this is not a lawsuit, at least not yet. Rather it’s the beginning of an investigation.

“At this time, Petitioners have been deprived the information and documents needed to analyze whether their assets have been misappropriated,” according to the claim.


Baker Mayfield takes a selfie with a Buccaneers fan.
Mayfield will be the Buccaneers’ starting QB in Week 1.
USA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

Mayfield was the No. 1 pick overall in the 2018 NFL Draft and has earned more than $48 million during his first five years in the league, according to Spotrac.

The 28-year-old signed with the Buccaneers this offseason and is making $4 million this year, with up to $4.5 million available in incentives, Pro Football Talk reports.

Not all the news is negative for Mayfield, who was anointed Tuesday as Tampa Bay’s starting quarterback going into the 2023 season.

He had been competing with backup Kyle Trask to be Tom Brady’s replacement, with the seven-time Super Bowl champion retiring after the 2022 playoffs.

You May Also Like

Woman's body discovered near Port Melbourne pier

The body of a woman has been discovered near a pier in…

Man accused of using 3-year-old son's death to defraud friends out of $1.3 million

A Sydney man has been accused of using his three-year-old son’s accidental…

China vows to counter Trump's 'bullying' tariffs as global trade war escalates

China has vowed to hit back after President Donald Trump announced major…

Tesla Vandals Keep Getting Caught, Democrats Keep Staying Silent

There are two stories here. Once is the ongoing wave of…