Baby Antonia was in her mother Nicole Siguenza’s arms when their home in Larapinta was allegedly broken into by two teenagers on December 11.
The pair were assaulted with a metal weapon, police say, which left Antonia with serious head injuries, including a fractured skull and a brain bleed.
Mother-of-five Nicole and Antonia were taken to hospital in Adelaide and a fundraiser has been set up to support the family following the “horrific” incident”.
“Dad, Marlon, remains in Alice Springs to take care of their other four children so cannot work at this time,” a fundraiser for the Siguenza family reads.
“Christmas plays such a big part to the Siguenza’s and we’re praying they can all be together soon.”
In-person fundraisers around Alice Springs have also been organised to help the Siguenzas, including a bake sale held last week.
A second fundraiser is being advertised on social media at an Alice Springs brewery next month.
Marlon told ABC his daughter had suffered seizures as a result of the attack.
He said she was “doing better” but remains in hospital.
Nicole suffered bruising but is otherwise OK.
The offenders, aged 16 and 17, were both apprehended within an hour and half of the alleged home invasion.
They have both been charged with five offences including unlawfully causing serious harm, aggravated assault and robbery, theft and aggravated burglary.
The alleged crime prompted a response from NT Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro, who described it as “totally unacceptable”.
“It is far from normal. People deserve to be safe in their homes,” she said.
“I’d like to acknowledge also that there are a lot of very angry people in this town who feel frustrated, scared, hurt by what has taken place over recent weeks and they deserve to be angry.”
NT Police also announced it would widen a taskforce aimed at reducing crime across the region following the arrests.
Operation Ludlow will now focus on more suburbs around Alice Springs, police said.