Australian taxpayers could be charged up to $1million for chartered evacuation flights from war-torn Lebanon, it has now emerged.
Ben Fordham warned it will be taxpayers who end up footing the bill for mercy flights from the Middle East on his 2GB program on Friday.
‘Taxpayers are funding Qatar Airways to operate several humanitarian flights from Cyprus to Australia, and it’s not pocket change,’ Fordham said.
‘When we say a million dollars on two flights, it’s probably a lot higher than that. We’re being ultra conservative with that estimate.’
Fordham said he was surprised by the claims, as it had been reported Qatar Airways was matching Qantas in putting on free charter flights from Cyprus to Australia.
He added Qantas ‘has done the right thing’ by covering the cost of three return flights, estimated to be between $2million and $3million.
‘Perhaps Qatar could consider following Qantas’ lead, it’s not too late,’ he said.
‘For the record, Qatar Airways recorded a profit of $2.5billion in the last financial year yet they’re still charging the Aussie taxpayer.’

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said a total of 1,425 Australians had returned on flights from Cyprus to Sydney on Thursday (pictured, a post-flight reunion)

Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong reiterated calls for Australians to leave the conflict zone while the Beirut Rafic Hariri remains operational (pictured, Baalbek in Lebanon)

Qatar Airways has been accused of charging Aussie taxpayers to evacuate stranded Australians out of the Middle East as the crisis escalates (stock image)
Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong last week confirmed Qantas was operating two flights from Cyprus to Sydney at no charge to eligible Australians, permanent residents and their immediate family members with a right of entry to Australia.
Ms Wong reiterated calls for Australians to leave the conflict zone while the Beirut Rafic Hariri remains operational.
Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) suggest about 15,000 Australians reside in Lebanon, with concerns not enough Australians have taken up the opportunity to leave, despite the escalating conflict.
On Thursday, DFAT said 313 Australians and their family members had departed Lebanon and arrived in Australia overnight, bringing the total returned to 1,425.
The claims about Qatar Airways come as the Australian Financial Review reported plans to cancel charter evacuation flights from Lebanon, due to low take-up.
The AFR said the final tax-payer funded flight would depart Lebanon on Sunday.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Qatar Airways and DFAT for comment.