At least three people have died and a further three people have been taken to hospital after an explosion in an apartment building in The Hague, the Netherlands on Saturday, according to authorities.

The blast took place around 6.15am (local time), firefighters said, causing the three-story apartment building to partially collapse and set on fire.

Five different apartments were affected by the explosion, they said.

Firemen try to douse a fire following an explosion at a residential building in The Hague
Firemen try to douse a fire following an explosion at a residential building in The Hague. (CNN)

Police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen a car driving away from the scene at a very high speed shortly after the incident.

Jan van Zanen, mayor of The Hague, said at a Saturday news conference that a body had been discovered in the rubble, and that the search for victims was ongoing.

Shortly after that, police confirmed that another two bodies had been recovered from the site.

Though the search began as a rescue operation, van Zanen said, by Saturday afternoon, it had turned into a recovery mission instead.

It is not known how many people are still under the rubble, he said, but “the reality is that the chances of survival for them are slim.”

A recovery mission is under way after an explosion rocked an apartment block in the Hague
A recovery mission is under way after an explosion rocked an apartment block in the Netherlands. (CNN)

“We are considering the worst-case scenario,” the mayor said.

The Dutch Urban Search and Rescue service sent a rescue group to the scene on Saturday morning, including four dog handlers and a structural engineer.

By 11.30am local time, the fire was nearly out and rescue dogs were searching for possible victims, firefighters said.

The dogs could not search the building for long, however, because there was a risk that it could fully collapse, according to Dutch public broadcaster NOS.

Some 40 homes have been evacuated, it reported.

One man told the broadcaster that his first thought upon seeing the aftermath of the explosion was that it was due to a rocket attack.

He heard a child calling for help from the rubble, he said, but was unable to reach them when people pulled him back from the fire.

Forensic officers were also at the scene collecting evidence, the broadcaster said.

Dutch Prime Minister Dick Schoof said in a post on X that he was “shocked” by images of the damaged apartment building, and that he has spoken with the mayor of The Hague to offer help.

The Dutch king and queen said in a statement that their thoughts were with those affected by the incident.

You May Also Like

US Bans Sex Between Government Personnel and Chinese Citizens

This ban doesn’t apply to Americans here at home, like Rep.…

Prince Andrew ‘not surprised at fantasist’ Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre’s bus crash claims, his pal reveals

Prince Andrew is “completely unsurprised” at his longtime accuser and Jeffrey Epstein…

The Empire Gets Off The Couch, Waddles To Its Computer, And Strikes Back

The list of Democrat governors who treated Covid like an excuse…

Holy SMOKES, Literally: Failed Car Bombing in Public Square in Amsterdam

What…well. Hold that thought. We know exactly what’s going on in…