In the four full days since it opened its figurative doors on Saturday, the NACC has received nearly 200 online referrals, plus more than 100 calls on top of that.
Most of those have come in the last two days.
“In his address on the morning of Monday 3 July, Commissioner (Paul) Brereton announced there had been 44 referrals made via the NACC’s online form since the website had become active on 1 July,” a NACC spokesperson said.
“By close of business on 4 July, 2023, 186 reports had been submitted via the webform, and the intake team had taken 116 calls.
“Approximately 60 of the referrals relate to matters well publicised in the media.”
“Any Australian citizen can refer instances of corruption in government to the NACC and that is what I have done today in my capacity as a concerned member of the Australian public,” she said.
Read Related Also: Republicans in frenzy over timing of ‘brazen’ new charges against Trump: ‘We cannot allow this to stand’
Brereton said on Monday the NACC won’t look into every matter sent to it, saying only a “very small proportion” will warrant a full investigation.
There is also speculation former Coalition minister Stuart Robert will be referred to the body over allegations a consulting firm planned to funnel funds to him in exchange for support in gaining government contracts.
NDIS and Government Services Minister Bill Shorten is seeking advice from his department over the matter.
Robert has denied any and all wrongdoing.
Coalition Senator Linda Reynolds has also said she may refer the Commonwealth’s compensation payment to Brittany Higgins to the new body, saying it “demands the attention of the National Anti-Corruption Commission”.