ABC News Breakfast host Michael Rowland has announced he’s ‘taking a break’ one day after criticising the public broadcaster for failing Stan Grant.
Rowland made the sombre announcement live on air, telling viewers he was ‘off on a break’ and that it had been ‘a real honour’.
One of his co-hosts responded to say ‘that sounds kinda final’ before asking if he was returning, to which Mr Rowland just smiled and did not say anything.
He followed up this with an announcement on Twitter at the end of the breakfast show on Wednesday, saying: ‘Take care and see you soon’.
ABC bosses have insisted that Mr Rowland is going on a ‘long-planned holiday’ and will be back in the presenting couch in a month’s time.
Rowland earlier this week urged the public broadcaster to be swifter and more effective at calling out racism following Grant’s departure from Q+A.

ABC News Breakfast host Michael Rowland announced today that he will be taking a break from the show – a day after he criticised the national broadcaster for failing Stan Grant affair

Rowland tweeted on Wednesday morning (pictured) that he would be ‘taking a break’
Grant announced he was taking an indefinite break as host of Q+A last Friday, after he was bombarded by ‘racial filth’ on social media.
Rowland said on Tuesday: ‘It hasn’t just been weeks and months, it’s been years that Stan’s been copping this. Racism is a scourge.
‘We all need to do better and that includes the ABC in calling it out and calling it out more quickly than we have in this country,’ he said.
That same day he shared a video of Grant’s powerful monologue with the caption: ‘Racism is a scourge. We all need to do better in calling it out, and that includes the ABC.’
Madeline Morris, finance presenter on ABC News Breakfast will join Mr Rowland’s co-host Lisa Millar for the ‘next little while’.
After revealing he was leaving the show, Mr Rowland thanked viewers at home.
‘I just want to use this semi-regular opportunity to thank all of you, our viewers, you have been fabulous for this show in the time that I’ve been on the show, it’s been great presenting to you,’ he said.
‘If it wasn’t for you, the viewers, none of us would be here doing what we do, so it’s been a real honour.’
Another presenter on the sofa said: ‘that’s sounding kinda final, you are coming back aren’t you?’
Mr Rowland just raised his eyebrows and smiled but did not say anything.
Lisa Millar, his co-presenter jokingly answered: ‘Absolutely! And he’s bringing presents because that’s the rule: wherever you’re travelling to, come back with gifts.’
Read Related Also: Who inherited Featherington’s estate?
A spokesperson for the ABC told Daily Mail Australia: ‘Michael is on a long-planned holiday and will be back on air 26 June.’
TV producer Robert McKnight said in response to the announcement: ‘Very sorry to hear this. Michael is one of the best! Good luck to you, Michael.’
One Twitter user said the news was ‘very upsetting’.
‘First I lose Stan Grant on Q&A. Now I loose you getting me through my mornings,’ she wrote.
She added: ‘Very angry reporters and presenters have been abandoned by their employers.’
There is no suggestion Mr Rowland feels ‘abandoned’ by ABC.
Mr Rowland’s comments criticising the ABC were followed an appearance on the program by Ian Hamm, chair of the First Nations Foundation.
‘Stan does his job very well. I think he has taken on the role of poking the bear of Australia where it’s uncomfortable from time to time,’ Mr Hamm said.
‘There is risk with that. The pushback of those who don’t like it and who perhaps want Aboriginal people to be more compliant and pleasant.’

Stan Grant on his last Q+A ‘for a while’ said he felt as though he was part of the problem and wanted to take break to consider how to do better
He added: ‘Stan’s not walking away. He’s just taking a break as anybody should in this circumstance.’
Mr Hamm said this year in particular, with Australians voting on an Indigenous Voice to Parliament in November, would bring up lingering tensions.
‘Australia does have race relations problems and all it takes is scratching the surface and some very unpleasant sores can be exposed.’
‘I have great hope for my nation, but I’m also realistic enough to know that this is not an easy journey.
‘He’s not alone and the rest of us are behind him and like him, we’re not walking away. And we intend to pursue the right place for our people in this country.’
Rowland’s announcement this morning prompted another ABC reporter to comment: ‘Hope you’re OK’.
Rowland has presented on ABC News Breakfast since 2010 when he joined Virginia Trioli as host.
After close to 13 years as host, he is a fan favourite on the program where he now shares the lounge with co-host Lisa Millar.