People take their belongings from their destroyed houses after the earthquake on February 26, 2023 in Kahramanmaras, Turkey

Turkey has been hit by another earthquake which has caused buildings to collapse – three weeks after a catastrophic tremor devastated the country and killed 48,000 people.

The magnitude 5.6 earthquake was centred in the town Yesilyurt in Malatya province in southern Turkey, the country’s disaster management agency said. There were no immediate reports of casualties.  

Yesilyurt’s mayor, Mehmet Cinar, told HaberTurk television that a few buildings had collapsed in the town.

Malatya was among 11 Turkish provinces that was hit hard by the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that devastated parts of southern Turkey and northern Syria on February 6.

That quake led to more than 48,000 deaths in both countries as well as the collapse or serious damage of 173,000 buildings in Turkey.

People take their belongings from their destroyed houses after the earthquake on February 26, 2023 in Kahramanmaras, Turkey

People take their belongings from their destroyed houses after the earthquake on February 26, 2023 in Kahramanmaras, Turkey

People take their belongings from their destroyed houses after the earthquake on February 26, 2023 in Kahramanmaras, Turkey

AFAD, Turkey’s disaster management agency, said that close to 10,000 aftershocks have hit the region affected by the quake since February 6.

On Monday last week, a 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck the Turkey’s Hatay province, which was of the area’s worst affected by the February 6 earthquake. 

Turkey’s disaster management authority, AFAD, said last week’s quake killed six people and injured 294 others, including 18 who were in critical condition.

This is a breaking news story, more to follow…