‘They were defiled’: Funeral home is sued for allegedly giving families fake ashes

FILE - A hearse and debris can be seen at the rear of the Return to Nature Funeral Home in Penrose, Colo., Oct. 5, 2023. A family filed a lawsuit Monday, Oct. 30, against the Colorado funeral home where 189 decaying bodies were found alleging that the owners, a husband and wife, allowed the remains of their loved ones and to “rot” away while they sent families fake ashes. (Jerilee Bennett/The Gazette via AP, File)

FILE – A hearse and debris can be seen at the rear of the Return to Nature Funeral Home in Penrose, Colo., on Oct. 5, 2023. A family filed a lawsuit Monday, Oct. 30, against the Colorado funeral home where 189 decaying bodies were found, alleging that the owners, a husband and wife, allowed the remains of their loved ones to “rot” away while they sent families fake ashes. (Jerilee Bennett/The Gazette via AP, File)

A man has sued a funeral home for allegedly giving families fake ashes while the real dead were left to decompose in a building.

“In death, these men and women deserved to be treated with respect and dignity,” plaintiff attorney Andrew Swan said, according to The Associated Press. “Instead, they were defiled.”

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has said they found at least 189 dead bodies improperly stored at a building owned by Return to Nature, warning that the number could change as the investigation and process of identifying the victims continued.

“We are conducting extensive coordination efforts as we focus on the identification of the decedents and provide notifications to ensure the families are given accurate information to prevent further victimization as they continue to grieve their loved ones,” Fremont County Coroner Randy Keller said.

The plaintiff in this lawsuit, Richard Law, entrusted his late father, Roger Law, to the funeral home owned by couple Jon and Carie Hallford in 2020, according to the complaint.

The Colorado company was supposed to cremate the man, and they gave the son what were supposed to be Roger Law’s ashes.

Now, it is alleged that Roger, a grandfather of five children, was among the many bodies found in the building.

“Richard Law has come to learn that Roger’s was one of the 189 bodies that had piled up at Return to Nature Funeral Home located at 31 Werner Road, Penrose, Colorado (the ‘Penrose Property’),” the complaint stated. “Nearly three years after his death, Roger still has never been cremated. Instead, he was allowed to decompose in squalid conditions at the Penrose property. Roger deserved better. So did the other 188 victims found at the Penrose property.”

The bodies turned up after locals noted an “abhorrent smell” coming from the property in question, the complaint stated. Co-defendant Jon Hallford allegedly tried and failed to pass the stench off as the result of his taxidermy hobby.

Speaking to Law&Crime on Tuesday, attorney Andrew Swan differentiated these allegations from a hypothetical in which the funeral home might have lost bandwidth over a busy week. Return to Nature had been taking the bodies, charging people, and lying about the accumulation for years, he said.

“They knew what they were doing was disgusting, but they kept doing it,” he said.

You May Also Like

‘I Was Tempted by a Harlot’: Killer Chris Watts Pens Letters to God in Prison, Claims Wife and ‘Evil Women’ Drove Him to Murder

Letters reportedly written by convicted killer Chris Watts from prison blame the…

The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Sunday, April 6, 2025

The economy is a patient by Dave Whamond, Canada, PoliticalCartoons.com To include…

Florida House Committee Approves Sales Tax Cut to 5.25% But Eliminates Tax ‘Holidays’

House Ways & Means Chairman Wyman Duggan, R-Jacksonville, is helping lead efforts…

Mom and boyfriend abandoned ‘hot, thirsty and hungry’ 6-year-old girl on the side of the road so they could go charge their phones: Cops

Insets, from left: Aquania Aleshia Estes and Pitrez Floyd. Background: Medical personnel…