Infamous Murderer Lyle Menendez Surprises CrimeCon Attendees During Live Call to Attorney Mark Geragos

A California prosecutor announced on Thursday that he recommends resentencing Erik and Lyle Menendez, who are serving life sentences for killing their parents in 1989.

The Menendez brothers have spent 34 years behind bars and are ineligible for parole under their current sentence. However, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said he would ask the court to have the parole ineligibility condition removed from their sentences and have them resentenced for murder.

If successful, Gascón said the pair would be sentenced to 50 years to life with parole. However, because they were younger than 26 when the murders occurred, he is hoping they will be released on youthful parole.

“I believe they have paid their debt to society,” he said on Thursday.

READ: Key Prosecutor Believes Menendez Brothers Were Sexually Abused by Dad

 

Evidence of Erik and Lyle Menendez’s father molesting them was presented at their first trial — which ended with a hung jury. However, those details were not as prominent during the second trial which resulted in their convictions.

Earlier this month, Gascón said his office would review the sexual abuse allegations.

In 1989, Erik and Lyle Menendez purchased two shotguns with cash and used them to kill their parents, Jose and Kitty Menendez, at their Beverly Hills home. Investigators originally suspected the mafia was behind the slayings. However, a break in the case occurred in 1990 when Erik Menendez, then 18, confessed to a therapist.

At the time, prosecutors claimed the brothers wanted access to their inheritance. However, Gascón said he has a photocopy of a letter, penned by Erik Menendez, which also corroborates claims of sexual abuse.

Gascón also said he is aware of claims made by Roy Rosello, an ex-member of the boy band Menudo. Rosello said Jose Menendez sexually abused him while a producer at RCA Records.

The prosecutor’s announcement comes days after he told the media that he believed Erik and Lyle Menendez were molested by their father.

Gascón can issue a recommendation regarding their sentences, but a judge will make the final decision. The prosecutor said he will file the recommendation tomorrow.

This story is breaking.

[Feature Photo: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation]

You May Also Like

EXCLUSIVE: Nancy Grace Obtains Video of Suspect Allegedly Transporting Miranda Corsette’s Body

Nancy Grace has exclusively obtained video footage from a neighbor showing suspect…

‘I gotta finish the beef’: Teen celebrates newly committed murder with YouTube ‘head shot’ rap video, cops say

Left inset: Murder suspect Cameron Kizer Jr. (Allen County Sheriff’s Department). Right…

‘This is diabolical’: Woman plows into biking dad, then makes ‘rest in peace’ post and shares victim’s daughter’s pleas to find the killer, police say

Background: Haley Layman being arrested Tuesday, April 1, 2025 (Grundy County Sheriff’s…

Teacher hired high school student to kill her husband, provided ‘down payment’ and details on when kids would be out of the house: Police

Inset: Stephanie Demetrius (Franklin County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Academy for Urban…