During a debate on LBC Sadiq Khan (pictured) was challenged by Conservative candidate Susan Hall who said there were 'gangs running around with machetes' in London

Sadiq Khan dismissed a rival candidate’s fears of rising crime in London during a television mayoral debate just a week before the terrifying sword attack took place in Hainault.

During a debate on LBC on April 23 Mr Khan was challenged by Conservative candidate Susan Hall who said there were ‘gangs running around with machetes’ in London.

She added: ‘That’s the stories I’m hearing from the people that are running the night economy. That is not good.’

Mr Khan replied: ‘I say in a respectful way, I think the Tory candidate should stop watching The Wire. We’re not living in Baltimore, USA, in the noughties.

‘I love this city,’ he added. ‘It could be better. We’re trying really hard to make sure our city is fairer, greener and safer.’

During a debate on LBC Sadiq Khan (pictured) was challenged by Conservative candidate Susan Hall who said there were 'gangs running around with machetes' in London

During a debate on LBC Sadiq Khan (pictured) was challenged by Conservative candidate Susan Hall who said there were ‘gangs running around with machetes’ in London

Susan Hall (pictured) is the Conservative candidate for London mayor

Susan Hall (pictured) is the Conservative candidate for London mayor

Conservative candidate Susan Hall (pictured) said there were 'gangs running around with machetes' in London

Conservative candidate Susan Hall (pictured) said there were ‘gangs running around with machetes’ in London

A week after the Labour candidate accused his rival of overindulging in the American crime drama TV series The Wire, a 14-year-old boy ‘died on the spot’ after being struck by a swordman in Hainault.

The terrifying 22-minute ordeal began after a van crashed into the side of a house in a quiet neighbourhood in East London at around 6:54am on April 30.

A 36-year-old man wearing a yellow hooded jumper then prowled the pavements swinging a samurai-style sword, nearly 2ft in length.

Graphic footage shared online shows the suspect pulling the child into the road after fatally injuring him as horrified neighbours watched on.

The schoolboy victim, understood to be the son of two teachers, stood no chance, witnesses said. 

The suspect was tasered and arrested on suspicion of murder, although he is yet to be questioned as he remains in hospital being treated for injuries sustained in the van crash.

At a press conference Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell confirmed that four other people, including two police officers, were wounded in the horrifying attack.

The female police officer came close to losing her hand in the sword attack but should be able to make a full recovery after ‘years of physio’, the Met chief revealed today.

Her male colleague was also left with severe injuries to his hand following the rampage. 

 

Officers can be seen demanding the 36-year-old suspect drop his weapon as he stands with sword in hand in front of a garage

Officers can be seen demanding the 36-year-old suspect drop his weapon as he stands with sword in hand in front of a garage

Dramatic CCTV footage emerged showing the moment a sword-wielding man was tasered and arrested by police

Dramatic CCTV footage emerged showing the moment a sword-wielding man was tasered and arrested by police

Mr Bell said the suspect had been tasered at the scene and arrested 22 minutes after the first call to police was made

Mr Bell said the suspect had been tasered at the scene and arrested 22 minutes after the first call to police was made

The terrifying 22-minute ordeal began after a van crashed into the side of a house in a quiet neighbourhood in East London at around 6:54am on April 30

The terrifying 22-minute ordeal began after a van crashed into the side of a house in a quiet neighbourhood in East London at around 6:54am on April 30

Reacting to the tragic developments on Tuesday, the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: ‘I’m sure I speak for the entire city when I say our thoughts are with this young child and his family.

‘It breaks my heart not only that this child has lost his life, but two members of our emergency services have risked their own safety to make sure others weren’t injured.

‘It shows the danger our police officers face every day and I thank them for their bravery.’

The mayoral candidate was asked about knife crime increasing by 54 per cent since he took office in 2016.

Mr Khan said he hadn’t thought about the election since he heard of the incident and his focus was on those caught up in the event.

MailOnline approached Sadiq Khan’s campaign for a comment on why he dismissed Susan Hall’s warnings of ‘gangs running around with machetes’.

A spokesman for Sadiq Khan said: ‘Sadiq was challenging some of the misinformation being spread by some of his opponents about London, including footage of an attack in New York to try and paint a very bleak picture of London.

‘Keeping Londoners safe is Sadiq’s number-one priority, and he is investing a record £151million in this year’s budget for policing and crime prevention and tackling the causes of crime by investing in youth clubs, against a backdrop of massive cuts by the Tory government.’

Reacting to the tragic developments, the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan released a statement on X

Reacting to the tragic developments, the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan released a statement on X

Since London Mayor Sadiq Khan took office in 2016, knife crime has increased by 54 per cent and it is rising at its fastest rate for five years

Since London Mayor Sadiq Khan took office in 2016, knife crime has increased by 54 per cent and it is rising at its fastest rate for five years

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Labour leader Keir Starmer yesterday paid tribute to the victims of the shocking day-light attack.

Mr Sunak said the Hainault stabbings were ‘shocking’, adding that ‘such violence has no place on our streets’.

King Charles also ‘saluted’ the courage of the police officers who worked to bring the violence to an end.

You May Also Like

Are paedophile hunters heroes or dangerous vigilantes? Troubling questions arise after a string of men were driven to suicide before being charged with any crime

For the past ten years, online gangs of vigilante ‘paedophile hunters’ have…

Man who murdered pregnant ex-girlfriend in front of her children while she unpacked baby shower gifts whines about his ‘constitutional rights’ during sentencing

Share copy link Background: News footage of the memorial in New York,…

‘Bad all around’: Trump admin’s top DC prosecutor says charging of Jan. 6 rioters is DOJ’s ‘greatest failure’ since Japanese American internment camps

FILE – Ed Martin speaks at an event hosted by Rep. Matt…

MISSING MADALINA, 11, PHOTOS GONE, HIDDEN BAG OF CASH, PRIESTS PAID THOUSANDS

Madalina Cojocari was last seen just days before Thanksgiving, getting off her…