Madeline Soto

The State Attorney’s Office levied 60 additional criminal charges Tuesday against Stephan Sterns, the primary suspect in the disappearance and death of 13-year-old Florida girl, Madeline Soto.

Sterns, identified as the boyfriend of Madeline’s mother, faces charges including sexual battery of children under 12, sexual battery of children 12-18, lewd and lascivious molestation, and possession of child sexual abuse materials, according to Osceola County court documents.

Sterns has not yet been directly charged with Madeline’s death.

The Kissimmee Police Department provided details on the new charges against Sterns on Tuesday.

“We appreciate the efforts of our partners in the State Attorney’s Office in assisting with seeking justice for Madeline,” Kissimmee Chief of Police Betty Holland said, according to Fox 35. “With this being a complex case with many facets, our work is not done, and we are continuing our investigation into the timeline leading up to Madeline’s death.”

Stephan Sterns New Charges by Leigh Egan

As CrimeOnline previously reported, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Madelin’s body was found off Hickory Tree Road at about 4:30 p.m. on March 1. Police found the body after someone called in a tip, following a press conference.

The discovery was in the area where Sterns had been spotted earlier in the week when he stopped to change a tire, police said.

The defendant claimed that he dropped Madeline off at school the day she vanished, but Orange County Sheriff John Mina said they now believe that wasn’t true and that “she was already dead at the time and that Stephan Sterns moved her body in the early morning hours on that day.”

Mina also said that investigators had surveillance video showing Sterns tossing items into a dumpster, including Madeline’s school-issued laptop and her backpack.

Stephan Sterns/Osceola County Sheriff’s Office

“The State Attorney’s Office has been working closely with KPD and received evidence that gave us cause to file formal charges against Sterns,” State Attorney Andrew Bain said Tuesday.

“We appreciate the thoroughness and detailed attention of their investigation and will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to build a strong case against the defendant.”

Madeline’s mother is not considered a suspect in the case. Meanwhile, Sterns remains behind bars at the Osceola County jail.

Check back for updates.

[Feature Photo via Orange County Sheriff’s Office]

You May Also Like

17 Named Storms Predicted for Hurricane Season

Hurricane Milton’s storm track last year. (NHC) Colorado State University researchers Thursday…

Florida House Approves Draconian Restrictions on Citizen-Led Constitutional Amendments

A petition drive at the Government Services Building today to legalize recreational…

Teenager, 19, arrives at court where he is charged with murder his father, 57, and trying to murder woman and boy

Subscribe to The Crime Desk, the Mail’s new true crime podcast network.…

The very personal meaning of Underbelly crime boss 'Fat' Tony Mokbel's first trip outside as a free man in 18 YEARS – as he makes up for one of his biggest regrets in life

Melbourne crime boss Tony Mokbel wasted no time in making amends for the…