Dentist praising ‘The Great Donald Trump’ threatened politician, reverend, hundreds of others for years: Feds

Left: Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump enters at a campaign event, June 18, 2024, in Racine, Wis. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps, File). Right: Richard Kantwill booking photo Pinellas County Sheriff

Left: President Donald Trump enters at a campaign event, June 18, 2024, in Racine, Wis. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps, File). Right: Richard Kantwill booking photo Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.

A Florida dentist and ardent supporter of “The Great Donald Trump” is headed to prison for sending more than 100 threatening, racist and bigoted messages to over 40 people because he disagreed with their politics.

Richard Kantwill, 61, of Tampa, was sentenced to two years in prison with credit for the roughly nine months he’s already served. Kantwill pleaded guilty in November 2024 to four counts of interstate transmission of a threat. He was indicted in June.

Prosecutors for the U.S. Middle District of Florida in a sentencing memorandum wrote the threats contained “obscene and derogatory references regarding race, religious affiliation, gender, and sexual orientation.”

More from Law&Crime: ‘I’m about to launch f — ing missiles’: Florida man vowed to make it Trump’s ‘last day on earth,’ called 911 to ask for a ride to the assassination, cops say

“The Defendant’s repeated choice to threaten violence, to include threats of murder and rape, against persons in the public eye who he disagreed with, demonstrates a lack of self-control and respect not just for the individuals with views different from his but also for the rule of law in general, and justifies a guideline sentence of 33 months,” the government wrote.

Kantwill’s attorneys said in their sentencing memo that he is “extremely remorseful” and called sending threats the “biggest mistake of his life.” He blamed his behavior on post-traumatic stress disorder from what he observed as a medic during the first Gulf War. The PTSD led him to drink alcohol heavily and use marijuana, his attorneys said.

As Law&Crime previously reported, federal prosecutors in the U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida revealed some of the details underlying the man’s threats in a memorandum seeking to detain him due to his “dangerousness” but they otherwise redacted records and opted to keep the names of his alleged victims private.

You May Also Like

‘Egregiously unqualified political hack’: Former US attorneys eviscerate Ed Martin — with over 100 voicing opposition to Trump’s selection of him as DC’s top prosecutor

FILE – Ed Martin speaks at an event hosted by Rep. Matt…

3 siblings tied up and starved 18-year-old brother to death, then let his body ‘swell and smell’ for days before reporting it, police say

Background: The home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where Ezekiel Baseme was found…

‘This is how we treat seizures in Walker County’: Deputy stomped the genitals of a mentally ill inmate who later died of complications from injury

Background: News coverage of video of Anthony Mitchell in custody (WBRC). Inset…

The Anatomy of a Serial Killer: Psychology, Profiling, Prevention

This three-part podcast series explores how serial killers develop and how to…