An alleged plot to kill the members of a controversial rap group was likely motivated by a conflict between an organised crime gang and the would-be victims, police say.
Detectives have arrested the accused co-ordinator of a criminal cell allegedly behind multiple contract kidnappings and a plan to target Sydney-based drill rap group OneFour.
Four members of the group, Jerome ‘J Emz’ Misa, Pio ‘YP’ Misa, Spencer, ‘Spenny’ Magalogo and Dahcell ‘Celly’ Ramos, were allegedly the targets of the defeated murder plot.
The accused criminal cell co-ordinator was arrested in a raid at Cartwright in Sydney’s southwest early on Thursday.
The 26-year-old is expected to be charged with a range of conspiracy, drug and firearm offences.
Organised Crime Squad commander Peter Faux said investigators identified that the crime cell had taken on a contract to murder the four high-profile men.

Police have foiled an alleged assassination plot against four members of high-profile Sydney rap group, OneFour (pictured)

Brandon Masueli being arrested in Cartwright on Thursday

Police will allege the crime cell was connected to the Haouchar crime syndicate
‘We believe that contract was taken on … on behalf of another organised crime network,’ he said.
‘The 26-year-old arrested today was a part of the plot, however (he) wasn’t the mastermind, so to speak.
‘There are a number of motives we’re looking at, but it’s highly likely there’s a conflict between the organised crime group that took out this contract and the intended victims.’
The criminals had carried out extensive surveillance of the rap group members as part of the plot, police said.
The OneFour music group has been the subject of long-standing police attention for their music, which focuses on western Sydney gang subcultures and includes lyrics that frequently mention violence.
In 2019, they were forced to cancel a national tour after venues were unable to meet security requirements demanded by police.
Another man, aged 20, was arrested in the southwest Sydney suburb of Sadleir as part of the latest police raids and he is expected to be charged with the same offences as the 26-year-old.
Detective Superintendent Faux said the cell was believed to be linked to the Haouchar crime syndicate, which has largely been operated from gang leaders based in Lebanon.
It has been tied to $1.5 billion in cryptocurrency transactions while committing various firearm, drug, tobacco and money-laundering offences.

Three members of Australian drill and rap group OneFour pictured at the 2022 Apra music awards

Members of OneFour are pictured at the premier of their Netflix documentary. (Spenny is seen left, Celly centre and J Emz is seen right)

Pictured: Australian rapper Pio ‘YP’ Misa (pictured) announced last month he is leaving the drill rap group OneFour due to his Christian beliefs
The splinter cell is also allegedly behind a kidnapping in March and a foiled December raid on a Ryde apartment that was housing more than 700kg in cocaine.
Police responded to reports of a break-in at the northwest Sydney property and arrested four men, who were found in the unit block’s underground car park sitting in a car and wearing all-black clothing and face coverings.
Officers later searched the apartment and found cocaine worth an estimated $1 billion before arresting the resident, who police said tried to escape by jumping off the balcony.
The 26-year-old man arrested on Thursday was charged in December with attempted kidnapping and firearm possession, but he was released on bail.
‘We have evidence that indicates that this male played a significant role in organising the four males to attend that location in order to kidnap the (resident),’ Detective Superintendent Joseph Doueihi said.
‘We believe this male formed part of this particular cell … and was responsible for these crimes and many other serious crimes including conspiracies to murder, drug importation, aggravated break and enters, firearm offences.’
Two other properties in Riverstone and Ashcroft were raided by police in the current operation.
Police have charged 28 people with various offences related to organised crime as part of the probe, which detectives say has resulted in the Haouchar network being largely dismantled.
A 22-year-old man, believed to be overseas, is still wanted for arrest.
Last month, Pio YP Misa announced he will be leaving the rap group after spending time in jail over a brawl led him to re-engage with his Christian beliefs.