Kentucky Interstate Gunman Texted Woman He Planned to ‘Kill A Lot of People,’ Then Himself

Police are still searching remote, heavily wooded southeastern Kentucky for a former Army Reserves soldier who opened fire on vehicles traveling Interstate 75 on Saturday afternoon, wounding five people.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Jackie Steele has filed charges of attempted murder and felony assault against Joseph A. Couch, 32, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported. Steele told the newspaper Couch would likely face additional charges related to damage to other vehicles hit by gunfire and evading police.

An affidavit accompanying those charges says that Couch sent a text message to the mother of his child just after 5 p.m. Saturday saying he planned to “kill a lot of people” and then kill himself afterward. The woman called police after receiving the text but wasn’t interviewed until 1:30 Sunday morning.

Couch killed no one in the shooting. Three people were treated and released from a hospital in London, and two more are still hospitalized in Lexington in good condition. Investigators said 12 cars were hit by gunfire.

The affidavit also says that Couch, who was honorably discharged from the Army Reserves and not the National Guard as previously stated, bought the AR-15 rifle he used in the shooting and 1,000 rounds of ammunition from Center Target Firearms Saturday morning.

Search crews found the AR and several loaded magazines in the woods near where they believe Couch hid — on a cliff above the highway — to conduct his shooting rampage, CrimeOnline reported. They also found his silver Toyota SUV in the same area.

The gunfire began at Exit 49 in north Laurel County less than an hour after Couch sent the text message. Crews have been searching the remote, heavily wooded area since, although they stop in the dark because of the danger to searchers.

Kentucky State Police have offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to Couch, and an anonymous person put up an additional $10,000.

You May Also Like

Crime lord 'Fat' Tony Mokbel to walk free from jail after 18 years as Lawyer X folly comes home to roost

Melbourne’s most notorious gangster Tony Mokbel is set to walk free from…

The very personal meaning of Underbelly crime boss 'Fat' Tony Mokbel's first trip outside as a free man in 18 YEARS – as he makes up for one of his biggest regrets in life

Melbourne crime boss Tony Mokbel wasted no time in making amends for the…

Teenager, 19, arrives at court where he is charged with murder his father, 57, and trying to murder woman and boy

Subscribe to The Crime Desk, the Mail’s new true crime podcast network.…

‘This is diabolical’: Woman plows into biking dad, then makes ‘rest in peace’ post and shares victim’s daughter’s pleas to find the killer, police say

Background: Haley Layman being arrested Tuesday, April 1, 2025 (Grundy County Sheriff’s…