
Marcel Johnson, left (Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office).
Detectives in Jacksonville, Florida, confronted a man they believe was the getaway driver behind a 13-year-old boy’s murder.
“Marcel, I feel like I have shown you that I know what the f— is going on today,” an investigator told Marcel Johnson, 24, in footage dated Dec. 15, 2022. “That I know what this is about. That I know what happened. Why it happened. And I know it was a f— up. You weren’t trying to kill no 13-year-old.”
“I didn’t kill nobody at all,” Johnson said.
Authorities claim he drove the vehicle from which gunman Kentrevious Tyree Garard, 27, opened fire at another vehicle, striking three people. A young man and a juvenile survived, but young Prince Holland, 13, died. He had been going home from football tryouts.
In footage, Johnson maintained innocence. For example, he said was on his phone. Authorities said they could prove that he had actually turned off his phone and switched it back on 20 minutes after the murder.
“You ain’t scrolling,’ the detective said. “You ain’t on FaceTime. You ain’t getting DMs. You ain’t doing none of that stuff because your phone is off. Your phone is turned completely off.”
More Law&Crime coverage: Men sentenced for ‘brazen, reckless and intentional’ murder of 18-month-old boy in botched drive-by shooting
“Ya’ll sprayed a car full of kids knowing there were kids in there,” the detective said at another point in the video.
“I didn’t do anything,” Johnson said.
A hearing in his and Garard’s case is set for Feb. 4.