Inmate said he had ‘no choice’ but to kill accused child molester to make ‘the world a safer place for children’: Police

Richard S. Hampton (Riverside County Sheriff

Background: Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility (YouTube screenshot). Inset: Richard S. Hampton (Riverside County Sheriff’s Office).

A 40-year-old incarcerated man in California will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars after he admitted to killing his cellmate, an accused child molester, then telling authorities that he beat the other man to death to make the world “safer” for kids.

A judge in California earlier this month ordered Richard S. Hampton to serve a sentence of 50 years to life in a state correctional facility after he was convicted on one count of first-degree murder in the brutal death of Rosendo Echevarria, authorities confirmed to Law&Crime.

At least two other men are accused of being involved in the attack on Echevarria. Jason Barton has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder and is awaiting trial. Following the attack, the third alleged killer, Aaron Aubrey, killed himself while still in prison.

Jason Barton and Aaron Aubrey (Riverside County Sheriff's Office)

Jason Barton, left, and Aaron Aubrey, right (Riverside County Sheriff’s Office).

According to court documents obtained by Law&Crime, Hampton on Sept. 8, 2020, “intentionally killed” Echevarria by “lying in wait” and attacking him in one of the housing units at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning, California.

Records provided by the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office showed that Hampton was serving time for a 2001 conviction for assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, a “serious offense” which prosecutors said was “committed for a criminal street gang.”

A copy of the sentencing memo submitted by prosecutors and obtained by the The Press-Enterprise provided additional details about the circumstances of Echevarria’s murder.

You May Also Like

Florida House Approves Draconian Restrictions on Citizen-Led Constitutional Amendments

A petition drive at the Government Services Building today to legalize recreational…

Crime lord 'Fat' Tony Mokbel to walk free from jail after 18 years as Lawyer X folly comes home to roost

Melbourne’s most notorious gangster Tony Mokbel is set to walk free from…

‘This is diabolical’: Woman plows into biking dad, then makes ‘rest in peace’ post and shares victim’s daughter’s pleas to find the killer, police say

Background: Haley Layman being arrested Tuesday, April 1, 2025 (Grundy County Sheriff’s…

‘We move forward’: Federal judge rejects Trump push to dismiss Isaac Hayes estate lawsuit for playing ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ at rallies

Left: Left: Grammy award winning musician Isaac Hayes in May of 2000…