Incitement by the numbers: More than 200 Jan. 6 defendants say they came to Capitol because Trump told them to, report says

Violent rioters supporting President Donald Trump storm the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021. A former Republican legislative candidate who traveled to Washington for former President Donald Trump

Violent rioters supporting President Donald Trump storm the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

A new assessment of public records by a federal watchdog group has found that approximately 210 defendants charged with crimes connected to Jan. 6 directly expressed that they only came to Washington, D.C., or joined in on the violence at the U.S. Capitol because they were incited by former President Donald Trump and heeding his call.

The report was published Wednesday from researchers at Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the same group that represents Colorado voters suing to remove Trump from the presidential primary ballot in the state in 2024. A lower court’s finding that he “engaged” in insurrection as defined under Section III of the Fourteenth Amendment bolstered their claim, but whether he can be disqualified remains unseen.

A decision in Trump’s favor is widely anticipated from the U.S. Supreme Court following less-than-favorable oral arguments for the petitioners earlier this month.

Meanwhile, CREW researchers poring over Jan. 6 defendants’ letters, public appeals, court documents and relevant congressional reports as well as news articles and open source records have compiled a table of the extracted evidence that they say is further confirmation Jan. 6 was “the result of organized efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to halt the certification of a free and fair election by force.”

You May Also Like

‘The record is voluminous … with allegations’: Trump-appointed judge slams brakes on president cutting billions in ‘critical public health funding’

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives before signing the Laken Riley Act into…

‘We move forward’: Federal judge rejects Trump push to dismiss Isaac Hayes estate lawsuit for playing ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ at rallies

Left: Left: Grammy award winning musician Isaac Hayes in May of 2000…

Crime lord 'Fat' Tony Mokbel to walk free from jail after 18 years as Lawyer X folly comes home to roost

Melbourne’s most notorious gangster Tony Mokbel is set to walk free from…

Teacher hired high school student to kill her husband, provided ‘down payment’ and details on when kids would be out of the house: Police

Inset: Stephanie Demetrius (Franklin County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Academy for Urban…