A woman whose estranged husband brutally murdered her was failed by police, an inquest has heard.
Lucy-Anne Rushton, 30, was ‘failed’ by officers who visited her just weeks before her death at the hands of Shaun Dyson, Lucy’s mother Myra Simpson said.
She also hit out at hospital staff for not noticing her daughter’s domestic abuse injuries when she sought treatment, saying she had ‘lost trust’ in organisations that should have helped her.
Ms Rushton was killed on June 23, 2019, after Dyson kicked, punched and stamped on her as she lay on the ground, leaving her with 37 rib fractures, a broken breastbone and collapsed lungs.
An inquest jury was told this week that the month prior to the ‘violent and horrific’ fatal attacks her brother went to police to report Dyson for taking photos of himself sexually abusing his wife on her 30th birthday.
The year before, cops were called to an altercation between the couple at a hotel in Bournemouth when they were overheard arguing in their room with Dyson calling the mother of five a ‘drunken slut’.
One guest found cleaning manager Ms Rushton in the corridor with her face and hands covered in blood and got the attention of security, the jury at Winchester Coroner’s Court in Hampshire heard.

Lucy-Anne Rushton (right), 30, who was murdered by her husband is pictured with her mother Myra Simpson, who this week told an inquest police officers ‘failed’ her daughter

In June 2019, Dyson killed Ms Rushton in an early morning assault at her home in Andover, Hampshire, while children were present at the house
The jury was told these incidents were part of a history of abuse by Dyson, with other incidents witnessed by family and friends where he attacked Ms Rushton.
The inquest also heard that he once jumped out at her from behind some bins and said that was how easy it would be to kill her.
In June 2019, Dyson killed Ms Rushton in an early morning assault at her home in Andover, Hampshire, while children were present at the house.
Ms Simpson told the inquest she was ‘especially angry’ about the Bournemouth altercation and that officers ‘did not do their jobs properly’.
In a statement read by the coroner’s officer, Patrick Parker, she said: ‘I do not think police protected Lucy, I am especially angry about the incident in Bournemouth.
‘They did not do their jobs properly, the same can be said for the police who saw Lucy just before she died. I have lost trust in these organisations.
‘Lucy was failed by so many different professionals who could have stepped in.
‘Lucy went to the hospital several times, I want to know why the hospital did not notice the injuries could have been domestic violence.
‘I want to know if both forces complied with their policies on domestic violence.
‘Why did the police not consider prosecuting [Dyson] without evidence from Lucy herself?
‘What changes have police made to better protect women from their abusive partners?’
Ms Simpson also told the inquest that Ms Rushton had been in previous abusive relationships and had lost contact with some of her children, which meant she feared losing custody again if she complained about Dyson.
She said: ‘Losing touch with her babies was very difficult for Lucy, it showed her kids could be taken away and she lived in fear this could happen again.
‘This added to her worry that if she talked about [Dyson] or complained she would lose her children.

Shaun Dyson launched a fatal attack on Ms Rushton, leaving her with 37 rib fractures, a broken breastbone and collapsed lungs
‘The abuse she suffered meant Lucy changed from the girl I knew. My son, Luke, went to the police to report abuse Lucy was suffering.
‘Police went to see Lucy the next day but the investigation never went anywhere.
‘Lucy’s death has affected me and my family… I used to see her every weekend, I miss those moments I had with my daughter every single day.’
Outlining events to the jury, assistant coroner for Hampshire Darren Stuart said the attack that killed Ms Rushton was ‘violent and horrific’.
He said: ‘On September 8, 2018, police attended the Britannia Hotel in Bournemouth, that involved an altercation between Ms Rushton and Dyson.
‘The following year on May 30, 2019, Ms Rushton’s brother, Luke Simpson, made a report to Hampshire Constabulary that she had been physically and sexually assaulted by Dyson.
‘Ms Rushton was visited by police as a result of those allegations, you will hear evidence of the police dealing with that and attending Ms Rushton’s home.
‘You will also hear evidence from witnesses… about comments and observations made and whether any action was taken as a result of that.
‘Finally, on June 23, 2019, Ms Rushton was subject to a violent and horrific assault at their home in Andover, as a result of the injuries Ms Rushton suffered she sadly passed away.
‘Police and ambulance attended and Ms Rushton was pronounced deceased at the scene.’
A tribute from Ms Rushton’s family was read out at the inquest by the coroner’s officer, Mr Parker.
Ms Rushton’s son, also called Luke, 19, said: ‘My mum was a very caring person, I have really happy memories of her taking us on holiday to Spain.
‘I will remember her as someone who made people laugh, she was a brilliant mum.’
The tribute continued: ‘Lucy was killed in the most disturbing way. All we have is memories and photos.’
‘She was the best mum and loved her children more than anything in the world. [Dyson] has destroyed and divided our family.’
Dyson was convicted of Ms Rushton’s murder and sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 17 years.
The inquest – which is expected to last three weeks – continues.