‘Wanted to f— around. Now it’s finding out time’: Associated Press says White House should heed warning from Trump-appointed judge on press pool ban

President Donald Trump at a press conference at the White House in Washington on February 27, 2025 (Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Sipa USA; via AP Images)

President Donald Trump at a press conference at the White House in Washington on Feb. 27, 2025 (Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Sipa USA; via AP Images)

A federal judge in California has ordered the Trump administration to produce Charles Ezell, the acting director of the Office of Personnel and Management, for testimony in the ongoing OPM mass firings case, just days after the Justice Department allegedly claimed Ezell wouldn’t be made available to testify — or face his wrath in court.

“If Ezell does not appear in violation of that order, then the Court will have to decide the sanction, including whether or not to strike or limit his sworn declaration,” warned U.S. District Judge William Alsup in a Monday order.

Ezell, appointed by Trump to be acting director after he took office in January, is accused of unlawfully firing thousands of government workers still in the probationary period of their employment. The judge had previously ordered Ezell to appear in court on Thursday to testify, but the plaintiffs suing the OPM — five labor unions and five nonprofit organizations — said in court filings last week that they believed DOJ’s Civil Division was not going to let Ezell take the stand. On Monday, those fears came to fruition as DOJ lawyers filed a motion to vacate the upcoming evidentiary hearing and preclude Ezell’s testimony.