Zayn Malik breaks silence after last-minute Newcastle gig cancellation as 1D star issues heartfelt apology

ZAYN Malik has broken his silence after leaving fans devastated by cancelling a sell-out gig just minutes before he was due to take to the stage.

The Former One Direction star was due to perform at a packed-out O2 City Hall in Newcastle on Tuesday night.

Zayn Malik cancelled his first solo tour just minutes before he was due to take to the stage

3

Zayn Malik cancelled his first solo tour just minutes before he was due to take to the stageCredit: Getty
Zayn posted an apology on social media minutes after the cancellation

3

Zayn posted an apology on social media minutes after the cancellationCredit: Instagram
The cancellation comes after the US leg of his tour was postponed following the death of former One Direction bandmate Liam Payne

3

The cancellation comes after the US leg of his tour was postponed following the death of former One Direction bandmate Liam PayneCredit: Getty – Contributor

Fans were eagerly waiting for the Stairway to the Sky set to get underway when it was announced on the tannoy the show had been cancelled.

A spokesperson speaking from the stage said the show would not be going ahead.

They said: “We apologise for the late notice. It was his fervent hope that he would be able to continue with the show. This is no longer possible.

“Please contact your point of purchase for details of reschedules and refunds. If you have parents or guardians collecting you please stay within the auditorium and wait to be collected.”

Taking to Instagram, the 31-year-old singer wrote an explanation on his stories:

He wrote: “I’m so sorry to do this but my voice just isn’t there at all tonight and without it, there’s no show.

“I’m truly sorry to let you down, especially at such short notice…I held onto hope until the very last moment.

“I’m hopeful with some rest tonight I’ll be back on stage tomorrow.

“My deepest apologies Newcastle love you all xx.”

Devastated fans were seen streaming out of the O2 City Hall in floods of tears.

Courtni Clarke, 19, had queued for 36 hours to make sure she got to the front of the standing section to get as close as possible to her favourite singer.

But, despite the tears on her face, the bar worker from Leeds says that she is only concerned about Zayn’s health.

She said: “I hope he’s ok. One of the security guards told us they don’t even know if he made it here.

“It’s a disappointment but also a worry. I’m a very, very big fan of Zayn. We got no information of what happened.”

Clarke and other fans spoke about how they paid £150 for tickets plus additional costs for travel to get to the venue.

She called the last-minute cancellation a “deep wound” after seeing the other members of One Direction singing on their solo tours and now no longer being able to see Liam sing live.

The US leg of the tour was postponed after the death of Zayn’s former bandmate Liam Payne and he has paid tribute to him at shows in Manchester and Leeds.

More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online

Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

You May Also Like

Vogue Williams looks incredible in blue bikini on the beach in St Barts after denying split with Spencer Matthews

VOGUE Williams dazzled in a bright blue bikini as she hit the…

Leonardo DiCaprio makes subtle change to his appearance and looks years younger on Las Vegas trip

LEONARDO DiCaprio has made a subtle change to his appearance and looks…

How Much Money Did ‘Snow White’ Lose Disney?

Movies Disney’s 2025 ‘Snow White’ remake is shaping up to be one…

Hulu’s The Kardashians slammed as ‘snoozefest’ as fans beg for the old show back and share major complaints

THE Kardashians has been brutally slammed as a snoozefest by fans amid…