A firebombing attack that significantly damaged a Melbourne synagogue has been described as “one of the most evil acts” ever seen.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan made the remarks during a press conference today, where the Australian Federal Police confirmed the fire was being treated “terrorist attack”.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan made the remarks during a press conference today. (Eddie Jim.)

AFP Deputy Commissioner Krissy Barrett confirmed the investigation had transitioned into a counter-terrorism investigation.

“This is now a terrorism investigation led by the Victorian joint counter-terrorism team, which includes Victoria Police, the AFP and ASIO joint counter-terrorism teams include the best terrorism investigators in the country, and a Joint Counter Terrorism Team investigation unlocks more powers, more capability and more intelligence,” Barrett said.

The declaration will give police extra powers including the ability to stop, search and seize people without a warrant.

Firefighters at the Adass Israel Synagogue of Melbourne. (Nine)

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said officers were pursuing three suspects in the case.

“The intelligence that has been gained from that joint management committee meeting has recommended that their belief is that this is likely a terrorist incident that has occurred,” Patton said.

Dozens of additional police will patrol places of worship and surrounding streets across the city’s south-east following the fire.

Patton also confirmed that a bullet found outside the synagogue had nothing to do with the attack.

Police said last week that two masked intruders were seen spreading accelerant around the building before the fire.

The witness left and police were alerted. Soon after the building was engulfed in flames.

The attack on the Adass Israel synagogue at Glen Eira Avenue in Ripponlea unfolded on Friday. (Nine)
Adass President Michael Spigelman outside the synagogue on Friday. (Arsineh Houspian)

‘One of the most evil acts’

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said her thoughts were with the Jewish community throughout the investigation, describing the fire as “one of the most evil acts we’ve seen”.

“This has been an awful, evil, antisemitic, and now we know, confirmed as a terrorist attack,” she said during a joint press conference.

“We must remember and continue to hold the community, who is grieving, who suffering, in our hearts and give them all of our support.

“This has to come to an end. We cannot let this conflict overseas continue to be a cloak for behaviour like that.”

Speaking on Friday, Rabbi Gabi Kaltmann, the head of a modern Orthodox congregation in Hawthorn, referred to the attack as a “pure hate crime”.

“The way this is looking right now this is pure antisemitism. People coming in the wee hours of the morning to a synagogue, breaking windows, throwing fuel on the floors and setting it alight while people are there sitting and learning.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident, has dash cam/CCTV footage or information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

You May Also Like

‘Immortality herb’ may be more beneficial than green tea: ‘Few in the US know about it’

Herb your enthusiasm! You’ve heard of ginseng and ginkgo biloba — these…

UK to host Women’s World Cup for first time ever in 2035 as rivals drop out to leave England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales as sole bidders

LISTEN NOW: It’s All Kicking Off! Why it makes more sense for…

Woman is found dead at Port Melbourne

By CAITLIN POWELL FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA Published: 21:50 EDT, 2 April…

Counter terror police issue warning to parents to look out for signs their child is at risk of radicalisation online in wake of Netflix show Adolescence

Counter Terrorism officers are urging parents to keep an eye out for…