Alan Yazbek held up a sign with a swastika. Picture: NewsWire / Damian Shaw.

A high-profile restaurateur has pleaded guilty to displaying a Nazi symbol to protest Israel’s actions during the ongoing Middle East conflict.

Alan Yazbek was charged with displaying a placard bearing a swastika at a protest in Sydney on October 6.

The protest was the subject of a high-visibility police operation amid heightened tensions one day before the anniversary of Hamas’ attack on southern Israel.

Police had alleged that Mr Yazbek, the co-owner of the NOMAD Restaurant Group, displayed a sign with a swastika superimposed on the Israeli flag with the words ‘Stop Nazi Israel’.

Alan Yazbek held up a sign with a swastika. Picture: NewsWire / Damian Shaw.

Alan Yazbek held up a sign with a swastika. Picture: NewsWire / Damian Shaw.

Alan Yazbek. Picture: Facebook.

Alan Yazbek. Picture: Facebook.

He was charged with one count of knowingly displaying a Nazi symbol without a reasonable excuse.

In Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, Mr Yazbek’s barrister Phillip English entered a plea of guilty.

He anticipated a sentence later in the day.

Under the new law introduced in NSW in 2022, the display of swastika is punishable by up to 12 months in jail and/or a fine up to $11,000.

He and his wife own up-market Nomad restaurants in Sydney and Melbourne, as well as Reine & La Rue.

The incident prompted a backlash against the restaurant group and earlier this month he issued a public statement apologising, saying he was not an anti-Semite.

‘I apologise unequivocally for my actions at the demonstration on Sunday where I carried a sign that is deeply offensive to the Jewish community,’ Mr Yazbek said in a statement.

Nomad restaurant in Melbourne. Picture: NewsWire/Luis Enrique Ascui.

Nomad restaurant in Melbourne. Picture: NewsWire/Luis Enrique Ascui.

His ‘furious’ wife and business partner Rebecca released a statement on Wednesday announcing Mr Yazbek was ‘no longer involved in the management of the business.’

‘Two weeks ago, our co-director, Al Yazbek, behaved in a way that offended a lot of people,’ the statement said.

‘We deeply regret the impact his actions have had on the community, and for that, we sincerely apologise.

‘As a result, he is no longer involved in the management of the business.’

You May Also Like

‘Snow White’ bombed so badly at the box office that Disney put another live-action princess remake on ice: reports

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your big screen dreams.  Disney is hitting the…

Mets bullpen’s excellent start masking rotation injuries

The Mets opened the season missing two surefire starting pitchers in Frankie…

Australian shares take $35 billion hit as Trump tariffs spook markets

Australian shares took a $35 billion pounding in early trading today, following…

Prince Andrew ‘not surprised at fantasist’ Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre’s bus crash claims, his pal reveals

Prince Andrew is “completely unsurprised” at his longtime accuser and Jeffrey Epstein…