Andrew Lloyd Webber’s son Nicholas dead at age 43 of gastric cancer

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s son Nicholas Webber has died of gastric cancer at the age of 43.

“Andrew loved and admired Nick’s talent as a composer and producer,” a rep for the legendary composer exclusively tells Page Six on Saturday.

“And, most recently, Nick was instrumental in pulling off the production of the London cast recording of ‘Bad Cinderella’ — during the pandemic.”

Spokesperson Rick Miramontez continued, “They were close throughout Nick’s life and according to Andrew, Nick kept his signature good humor up to the end and was eager to hear progress reports of ‘Bad Cinderella’ every time Andrew returned from New York during rehearsals.”

Andrew himself first broke the news of his son’s passing via Twitter earlier on Saturday, writing, “I am shattered to have to announce that my beloved elder son Nick died a few hours ago in Basingstoke Hospital.”

“His whole family is gathered together and we are all totally bereft. -ALW.”

Nick Lloyd Webber posing with his family.
Nicholas died in a hospice of gastric cancer.
Instagram

The award-winning composer, 75, first revealed his son’s condition earlier this month, saying in a statement, “I am absolutely devastated to say that my eldest son Nick is critically ill.”

He added, “As my friends and family know, he has been fighting gastric cancer for the last 18 months and Nick is now hospitalized.”


For more Page Six you love …


Andrew also noted at the time that he would be missing the opening night of his new Broadway musical, “Bad Cinderella,” in New York City. The show recently transferred from London’s West End.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, wife Sarah Brightman, daughter Imogen Webber and son Nicholas Webber in 1990.
Nicholas followed his father’s footsteps and became a composer.
Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images

“I therefore have not been able to attend the recent previews of ‘Bad Cinderella’ and as things stand,” he previously explained. “I will not be able to cheer on its wonderful cast, crew and orchestra on Opening Night this Thursday.

“We are all praying that Nick will turn the corner. He is bravely fighting with his indomitable humor, but at the moment my place is with him and the family.”

Days later, Andrew gave an update, sharing that his son, who was also a music composer, had been moved to hospice care as he continued to fight his “ghastly” stomach cancer and pneumonia.

Andrew Lloyd Webber with his wife Madeleine Lloyd Webber and son Nicholas Lloyd Webber in 2007.
Andrew “loved and admired” his late son, says his rep.
WireImage

“I want to thank you for the outpouring of messages of support for my son, Nick. He’s now been moved into a hospice and he’s battling away,” the EGOT winner said in an Instagram video.

“I think he’s over the worst of this first bout of pneumonia that he’s got as a result of his cancer, which is just ghastly,” he continued. “We’re all here and the family here has gathered around, and it was the right place for us all to be I think.”

Andrew shared Nicholas with ex-wife Sarah Hugill, to whom he was married from 1971 to 1983.

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sarah Hugill in 1971.
Andrew shared Nicholas with his first wife, Sarah Hugill.
Getty Images

Nicholas was a Grammy-nominated composer and record producer, who had worked on the BBC One series “Love, Lies and Records,” an adaptation of author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s classic book “The Little Prince.”

He also scored director Gillies McKinnon’s 2021 feature film “The Last Bus,” starring Timothy Spall and Phyllis Logan.

Nicholas discussed the perils of carving his own path as a composer with the Telegraph in 2011.

Andrew Lloyd Webber at press conference for "Bad Cinderella."
Andrew missed the opening of his new Broadway show, “Bad Cinderella,” to be by Nicholas’ side.
Getty Images

“For a long time, I dropped the Lloyd bit — to see what the reaction would be,” he previously told the British newspaper.

“I got some stuff on the radio, so I thought, ‘Okay, I’m obviously not a complete idiot.’ Then I thought, ‘Hang on, if other people are prepared to work with me without the surname, then maybe I should just get on with it.’ “

Nicholas is survived by his wife, viola player Polly Wiltshire, whom he married in 2018.

You May Also Like

Drama Follows Prince Harry and Meghan Like ‘Flies on Rotting Fruit,’ Commentator Says

Royal family Here’s why a commentator doesn’t think the Duke of Sussex…

Hulu’s The Kardashians slammed as ‘snoozefest’ as fans beg for the old show back and share major complaints

THE Kardashians has been brutally slammed as a snoozefest by fans amid…

Brett Gardner’s son Miller’s cause of death finally confirmed by toxicology results: report

Toxicology results have finally confirmed the cause of death of New York…

How many Razzies Has Jennifer Lopez Won?

Jennifer Lopez has never been nominated for an Oscar. However, she has…